Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The Trials of Learning Spanish

Right now I´m sitting outside, at our new digs, listening to the rain pour down. It´s been cloudy and kind of humid and warm all day, and then just about an hour ago the sky opened up, and it´s raining like it never does at home. The streets became rivers in ten minutes, and the already slippery sidewalks have become amazingly treacherous, especially in my plastic-y little knock off Pumas. It´s great though--there´s nothing like a really good rainstorm when you can still be outside and appreciating it. (You think I´d be tired of the rain after living in the northwest forever...but maybe it´s in my bones.)

It´s been a grueling couple of days, with my three hours of Spanish every morning...I´m in a small class, at this beautiful school called Institute Jovel. There´s just two of us, which is really perfect, as we are both less than competent when it comes to the Spanish language. In my head, I had been thinking about how much a week of Spanish would help me, and how far I would come. I imagined, somehow, having elaborate conversations expressing complex thoughts. Kind of. The reality of starting a language from scratch is exciting, yet daunting as well. To realize you know nothing about how to say anything...hmm. There´s a lot to learn. I think constantly of this David Sedaris story about learning French. We walk around town and I listen to small children and am jealous of their comprehension. I´ll think, and practically ask some five year old aloud ¨Now how do you remember the difference between este and eso?¨ They just get to absorb by osmosis, while we adults stuck in all of our thought patterns have to fight to retrain our minds. Still, I really am learning a lot, and am already amazed by how often a (simple) phrase I am trying to think of will come to me.

The other great thing about my classes is Jose-Louis, one of my teachers. I have a twofold old man crush this week, and he is part of it. Many of you who know me will recall my obsession with adorable old men. I especially like it when they sport some kind of round belly and the ultimate touch: the bow tie. While no bow tie is involved with Jose-Louis, there is a sweater vest present, which is almost as good. But besides the cosmetic touches, he is just a super fascinating man, who has lived lots and lots of life. Today we were talking about tortillas, one of my favorite things about the food here. He was telling us that the price of tortillas is actually regulated by the Mexican government, and that the official price is 8.5 pesos per kilo, which equals out to about 85 cents for around 50 tortillas. Which seems crazy. However, before this last November, the price had been 4.5 pesos. Since the minimum wage in Mexico is 40-45 pesos a day ($4-4.50), when the price of tortillas went up, there was almost, as he calls it, a revolution. There were huge protests everywhere, and it was an enormous deal. For people who really make the minimum wage, what they eat is the equivalent of about 1 kilo a day of tortillas, because it is what fills them up. It was pretty humbling to really think about this reality, and how carelessly I spend money here, even on a budget. And to think about the fact that for many people, the dollar equivalent of 40 cents is enough to break their family....We talk a lot about the history of Chiapas, and what it´s like to live in Mexico. I hadn´t really thought I would learn all of this in my Spanish classes, and it´s so interesting, and important, and is giving me a much better understanding of certain aspects of life here.

On a lighter note, Louise got here yesterday, and it´s been *so* fun to have her here. We moved to a much nicer place today, with a huge, pretty courtyard, and kind of a cool rustic room. It´s very nice to have a friend here that I have some history with (Isn´t that funny that ¨history¨is like 4 days of knowing her?) Sometimes traveling seems a lot like dating, or a series of dates. Lots of getting to know you, lots of finding yourself with random people who are nice but maybe not quite your type. To find the gems...But it certainly is good when you do.

Rain and rainbows,

Kira

4 comments:

Back to Eden Bakery said...

Okay Kira, I am convinced now that you have found your true calling. Forget Real Estate, you are destined to be the world's next best travel writer. This was one of the best things I have read in a long time because it is so you, living out your dream and seeing another slice of life. What a reflection you get to experience seeing the value of a dollar, a peso and this crazy plant called corn. Thank you for expressing yourself so openly and humanly as we get to live it with you. Every where you go there we are! I love you, Garrett loves you, Arrow too! xoxo

Carson and Melissa said...

Kira,
I love reading your words and getting a little window into your thoughts, experiences, the things you see, how you are growing and opening. I'm so happy too that you are enjoying your trip, and meeting new people helps so much with that! I love how I can know someone like four days while I've been traveling, as you mention, and feel like I've known them for years!

Carson just bought a Spanish grammar dictionary tonight on Khao San road (yep, we're back in Bangkok) so we'll be learning Spanish along with you, as well as Italian from the 2 Italian books we've been carrying, and Indonesian too. :) Our bags are too heavy with all these books!

Love you!
Melissa

rachael said...

Happy Valentine’s Day, Sugar. You really are quite the writer. Your descriptions are equally pithy and descriptive. I really am so impressed with your beautiful use of language. So, you have managed to master one language, and I trust that you can do pretty much anything you put your mind to. I’ve seen what a determined force you can be.

I have totally been there, too, envious of a child’s comprehension, wishing I could somehow Matrix my brain to absorb when the task feels too overwhelming, which for me learning new languages, I constantly feel overwhelmed. If it isn’t my brain stuttering, it’s my tongue. You know me – I have my own enunciation for English. It isn’t a good thing. But hey, who says we can’t be bi-and tri-lingual? You are taking the smartest, most direct route: immersion. It sounds like Flora is having a similar experience in Brazil, where no one speaks English. Frankly, how refreshing, in a way.

Someday, let’s promise to be travel buddies. It probably won’t be a three month adventure-trek, but it would be something. I adore your hopefulness and your enthusiasm. You are lovely.

Unknown said...

¿Que honda Kira? ¿Le tienen diversión? ¿Cómo era el terremoto? Coma muchas tortillas y beba muchas cervezas, pero no coma mierda porque mierda es no buena. ¡No mames guey! Tenga un buen tiempo y permanezca seguro, nosotros le aman.

(for help or a quick cheat: http://babelfish.altavista.com/ , although I just checked the translation and it is a ways off...but maybe you can get the point!)

Lotsa love from your brothers and sisters from other misses and misters up here in the Grande Noroeste.

t